Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netLike a son taking on his beloved father in an unwanted fight, Raymar Jose expressed uneasiness when asked about Blackwater’s upcoming game against TNT on Wednesday.“I don’t know what to feel,” he said in Filipino as he struggled to put into words his emotions as ahead of his game against his former coach Nash Racela and longtime teammate Roger Pogoy.ADVERTISEMENT Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Pogoy, Racela wary of dangerous Blackwater led by former Tams Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder PLAY LIST 05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder01:33Eleazar has mixed emotions on promotion, last day as NCRPO chief00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew “Coach Nash knows our games so well. We’ve been together for so long and it will be a big advantage for TNT,” said the 25-year-old.It may be an emotional game by all indications, Jose knows that it’s all business inside the court as he looks forward in this surefire competitive duel between the Elite and the KaTropa.“I feel shy and excited at the same time facing off against them. But we’ll be ready,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES MOST READ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours The three, together with Blackwater teammate Mac Belo, Rain or Shine guard Mike Tolomia, and Kia forward Russel Escoto, enjoyed success in the amateur ranks with the highlight being the UAAP Season 78 championship in FEU.Being on the opposing sides with Racela and Pogoy is undoubtedly a foreign feeling for Jose, but the third overall pick in the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft has no other option but to do what Racela has always taught him: to play at his best.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkAnd if Jose’s past games are any indication, he will have no problems contributing for the Elite as the Pontevedra, Negros Occidental native averages 12.0 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 1.0 assist through his first three professional games.However, the soft-spoken forward remains wary, knowing that someone who knows the strengths and weaknesses of him and Belo is going to be on the opposite side. View comments
The water woes which were being faced by residents of Diamond, East Bank Demerara, is now being blamed on the Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC).“In the case of Diamond, the NDC was doing some works that damaged the mains there,” Chief Executive Officer of Guyana Water Inc (GWI), Dr Richard Van West Charles, told a news conference on Wednesday.Earlier this year, Diamond was without any potable water supply for several weeks at the time, and GWI’s Director of Operations, Dwayne Shako, had said that the pump was breached and had begun “pumping mud”.It was noted that the intrusion of mud took place at a depth of some 239 feet of the total 665 feet well.Shako had highlighted that there was an attempt to remedy the rupture, but it proved futile owing to the pressure placed on the well by the growing community.
The Mayor and Councillors of the City of Georgetown (M&CC) was recently unable to pay wages and salaries, and had to seek from Central Government a bailout in excess of $475 million. Mere months later, this entity has earmarked $20 million to host “City Week”, to mark the birth of Georgetown.This worrying issue was raised at Monday’s statutory meeting by Councillor Carolyn Caesar, who questioned the purpose of the celebration, especially with the City in its current financial position.“I had asked for some information about the purpose of this celebration and what was its budget. It was later circulated to the value of $20 million… That is a lot of money to be expended on such an exercise. That money can be paid to the NIS; so I don’t think that it is necessary that we have this event this year,” Caesar promulgated.A shabby section of City HallIn response, Mayor Patricia Chase-Green said the idea of City Week is something that was started some time ago, but, due to a mix-up in dates, was never kicked off.“For me, even if we don’t have this big, grand celebration that will cost $20 million — because I don’t know how we (got the figure of) $20 million — we have done it (in) previous years, and we would be getting back some money,” she said.“If you don’t want this big celebration, then we must recognize the day the city was born; and (on) that day, at least you must have some activity to mark that day. If $20 million is too exorbitant, then you must have something, even if it is a church service and a display of the City Constabulary. Because you have Berbice Town Week, Linden Town Week, and all of that; so it is reintroducing that to the city,” Chase-Green expanded.The Council’s Social Development Committee is responsible for hosting the City Week celebrations, and Chairperson of the Committee, Councillor Monica Thomas, explained that the budgeted sum is just “a ballpark figure,” the activity could exceed or be lower than that sum.She added that the committee is treating the event also as a fundraiser. “What we are treating this as is a fund-raising event mostly. You will have other things, but it is a way of garnering money,” she related.Councillor Khame Sharma said the $20 million figure is a cause for concern, since that money could be used for other purposes.Councillor Malcolm Ferreira noted that the capital city should be allowed to celebrate as well, and threw his support behind the event. “I am pretty sure that there are things that could be done that don’t have to cost so much. There are artists, poets and others who would be willing to provide their services for free, and I would support something like that, but not (at a cost of) $20 million,” Ferreira said.In a move to stymie Councillors’ questions, the mayor ordered that a structured programme be prepared and brought to ‘full council’ to be vetted. She also used the opportunity to remind that the aim of the event is to raise funds for the Social Development Committee, so that committee could execute its functions.City Hall has, over the months, found itself figuratively between a rock and a hard place relative to the management of its financial resources. The municipality have been unable to pay workers their wages and salaries, resulting in mass protests being staged; and NIS, PAYE and credit union dues deducted from the workers’ emoluments have not been paid over to the relevant agencies.Last Monday, Town Clerk Royston King announced that a section of City Hall had “simply fallen off”, bring attention to the need for urgent repairs to be effected on that edifice. However, City Hall administration has said it is not in a financial position to execute the urgent repairs required on the building.
Music considered derogatory and defaming to women should be prohibited from being played in public, according to the Women and Gender Equality Commission.The Commission recently presented a report titled “Achieve Gender Equality and Empower all Women and Girls” to the Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton Scotland.The report includes 28 recommendations including the ban on derogatory music.Chairperson Indra Chandarpal told Guyana Times that music can impact how persons think and, therefore, if songs are insulting and offensive, then the results can be negative.“It’s all about self-respect,” she explained.“We’re not prude but we believe that if you have certain music that is so explicit, it should not be condoned,” added Chandarpal, who is also a parliamentarian.She reminded that there was a Censor Board which was responsible for vetting films before they can be played in the country.Chandarpal suggested the resuscitation of such a body which can police the type of music being played in public spaces.Meanwhile, the report also included recommendations to improve gaps in the legal system as it relates to sexual and juvenile offences. It also recommended paternity leave for men.The report, which will be laid at the next sitting of the National Assembly, was prepared by International Legal Consultant Malinda Janki as a follow up to information gathered from their “Access to Justice Programme”.According to Chandarpal, the Commission visited all ten administrative regions and gave women an opportunity to voice their concerns and challenges.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityRepresentatives from Starpoint Commercial Properties LLC, the building’s owner, did not return calls and e-mails. A subsidiary also named in the complaint is Valderas Drive Properties LLC. The complaint has 33 counts, six of which are infractions and 27 that are misdemeanors. The company faces fines of up to $1,000 per misdemeanor conviction and up to $250 per infraction. Residents say that during a renovation project earlier this year at the complex at 2121 Valderas Drive in north Glendale, gaping holes were left in their walls to upgrade piping. The work caused dust to spread in the complex and left units without water. Under its five-year-old ordinance, Glendale requires apartment owners to pay relocation costs to residents if renovation work makes their units uninhabitable. The property owner ended up paying relocation costs to some former residents, but not all. The city also accuses the building’s owners of raising rents to retaliate against residents who complained to the city about illegal eviction notices and the renovation work. GLENDALE – Former residents say the Falls at Montrose was a wonderful place to live – until they were forced out of the apartment complex by renovation work and huge rent increases. On Thursday, the city of Glendale joined with 21 former residents of the 100-unit apartment building, filing a complaint against the building’s owner. The city and the tenants say the owner retaliated against earlier complaints with rent increases and a refusal to pay tenant-relocation costs. It’s the first criminal complaint the city has filed against an apartment complex owner since it adopted an ordinance five years ago to protect apartment dwellers, said City Attorney Scott Howard. “It should be a message that, with the right evidence and with the right facts, that this office will stand up and file against property owners,” Howard said. Many residents saw their rents go up by hundreds of dollars, climbing from $1,051 to $1,383 for one resident, and from $748 to $1,107 for another. Glendale does not have rent-control protections, but it prohibits retaliatory rent increases. In a July 2 letter sent to the landlords, Bahmin and Nousha Ahmadpour wrote that the drywall in their apartment was left open so long that their young child got sick from the dust. In the letter, which was submitted to the city as part of the complaint, the couple rejected the $200 check the company gave residents to compensate for the renovation, and asked for $7,500 for relocation. Former resident Sharon De Frank, 59, said she found two notices on her door one day in March, one saying that Starpoint was the new owner and one saying that she had 60 days to get out. The company later rescinded the eviction notices when it found they were illegal under the city code. But by then, De Frank had already made arrangements to move out because she was recovering from cancer and did not want to fight the eviction. De Frank said the company eventually gave her $3,538 in relocation costs, after she pressed them for it. She is not a party to the city complaint. “Everyone has a right to buy a building, and everyone has a right to ask people to leave,” she said. “It’s just the way they did it that was so cruel and criminal.” email@example.com (818) 546-3304160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
KLAMATH, Calif. – If you’ve ever taken a road trip through Klamath, chances are you’ve had your picture snapped in front of Babe the Blue Ox – a huge statue of Paul Bunyan’s mythical sidekick located in front a gift shop. Well, Babe lost his head this week. On Tuesday, the head fell off of the 35-foot-tall statue, landing snout down in the pavement. Trees of Mystery manager Jeff LaForest says he plans to repair Babe as soon as possible. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Daniel appeals to all ages!Daniel O’Donnell will have the youngest fan in the audience of the BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing last night.His seven week old granddaughter Olivia Shiels will be there when Daniel takes to the stage in London.Proud grandmother Majella tweeted “We are in London for tonight’s live @bbcstrictly show. So nervous and excited for Daniel. I know he will be great!” Daniel will dance to ‘When Irish Eyes Are Smiling’ with dance partner Kristina Rihanoff. DANIEL TO HAVE YOUNGEST FAN IN AUDIENCE OF BBC’S ‘STRICTLY’ TONIGHT was last modified: September 25th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
The sandwiches are made. The jerseys are ironed and the diesel is in the car. Let the journey begin!Are we ready to dream again?More than 20,000 Donegal fans head to Croke Park today for the serious end of the All-Ireland championship.It’s ‘do or die’ for Jim McGuinness’ men as they look to dispose of fellow Ulstermen Armagh and book a place in the last four of this season’s campaign. After last year’s disappointing knockout by Mayo, Michael Murphy and company have bounced back to prove they are no one-hit wonder.But a defeat at this stage is unthinkable as Donegal dare to dream once more.Jim McGuinness can pick from a fully-fit squad which has been given a fresh injection of life from the likes of Odhran McNeilis, Darach O’Connor and Ryan McHugh.Add to that a new-found belief by the likes of Frank McGlynn and Karl Lacey, and things are coming nicely to the boil. Armagh will come to Croke Park trying to play a similar game to Donegal with a short kick-out.But it will be difficult to play the masters at their own game.That said, Donegal will need encouragement from every one of the 20,000 faithful supporters making the journey to GAA headquarters later today.Come on Donegal! JIM’S ARMY DESCEND ON CROKER AS SEARCH TO REGAIN SAM HOTS UP was last modified: August 9th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Croke ParkdonegalGAAJim McGuinness
Cllr Doherty in Killygordon today where ‘No’ has been painted outside homes which don’t want water metersIRISH Water contractors are continuing to instal meters at homes in Killygordon today – but only homes where the occupants are away or at work.Local community activists have agreed with the contractors that meters will not be installed at homes where the owners don’t want them.Cllr Gary Doherty reached a deal where the word ‘No’ has been painted at the entrance to homes in Dromore Park where home owners do not want meters. However contractors are continuing to dig holes and instal meters where residents are not at home.“We cannot object on their behalf unfortunately,” said Cllr Doherty today.“We have had another very successful day here following the successes in Castlefinn yesterday.“However we are unable to stop workers from installing meters at homes where the home owner wants a meter of where the home owner is away.” He said the stand-off this morning had been “very tense” and Gardaí were called. However the protests were peaceful throughout.One local resident warned: “I’d advise anyone who is at work and can get off to get home quickly to stop meters being installed.”Irish Water contractors are now filling in holes dug earlier at homes where residents have objected to water meters being fitted. SHOCK FOR RESIDENTS AS IRISH WATER FIT METERS AT EMPTY HOMES was last modified: November 11th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CLLR GARY DOHERTYcontractorsIrish WaterKillygordonproteststand-off