USS Dwight D. Eisenhower completes sea trials after repairs

first_img View post tag: US Navy US Navy aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) completed its sea trials following an overhaul which lasted three times longer than expected.Ike returned to Naval Station Norfolk on April 1, after getting underway five days earlier.The sea trials were the first time Ike returned to sea since August 2017, when it entered the yard for a six-month overhaul. Ike was had been initially scheduled to complete the overhaul in February 2018.The ship conducted the sea trials off the Virginia coast alongside engineers and shipyard employees from Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY), running through a checklist of evolutions, including conducting small-boat operations, testing countermeasure wash-down systems, executing high-speed turns, and testing catapults.“Sea trials was successful well beyond expectations,” said Capt. Kyle Higgins, Ike’s commanding officer. “Our investment in our ship paid off and now the real work begins: getting the flight deck certified so we start doing what this warship was built to do – launch and recover aircraft.”With sea trials complete, Ike begins the basic phase of the Optimized Fleet Response Plan (OFRP). From there the training becomes more focused and intense, Higgins also said.“We still have a long way to go, but with sea trials behind us, we are motivated to charge forward,” he said. “We will continue to train and strive to be better, to be greater each day.”Carrier Strike Group 10, also known as the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group, includes the Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Dwight D, Eisenhower (CVN 69), the Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruisers USS Monterey (CG 61), USS San Jacinto (CG 56), and USS Vella Gulf (CG 72); the ships and staff of Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 26; and the squadrons and staff of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 3. View post tag: IKE View post tag: USS Dwight D Eisenhowercenter_img Photo: Photo: US Navy Share this articlelast_img read more

Corporate report: DHSC annual report and accounts: 2018 to 2019

first_imgThe annual report and accounts gives an overview of the department’s resources and how it has used them to fulfil its statutory functions during the financial year 2018 to 2019.The document describes DHSC’s performance against objectives and includes the Secretary of State’s annual report on the performance of the health service in England.‘Financial assistance under section 40 of the National Health Service Act 2006: 2018 to 2019’ sets out how the Secretary of State has exercised his power to give financial assistance to any NHS foundation trust in the financial year 2018 to 2019.last_img read more

Tim Hortons to make UK debut

first_imgCanadian coffee and doughnut franchise chain Tim Hortons has announced that it will roll out its stores throughout the UK this year.The chain has unveiled that its first store opening will be on Glasgow’s Argyle Street in May.The company said that Great Britain was a key strategic market for the business and was the first European country to open its doors to the brand.“Bringing Tim Hortons to Great Britain and Glasgow, is something we’re really excited about,” said Elias Diaz Sese, president for Tim Hortons. “Great Britain is a nation of coffee lovers, so we’re confident Tim Hortons will continue to be a leader in the quick-service restaurant sector across the pond.”Tim Hortons will offer an extensive menu to its UK stores including its signature coffee, a variety of baked goods, breakfast and lunch items made from 100% quality ingredients.Franchise operator SK Group, which played a major role in the UK expansion of Domino’s, was involved in the deal to bring Tim Hortons to the UK.Gurprit Dhaliwal, chief operations officer for Tim Hortons UK and Ireland, said the company wanted to replicate Canada’s success in the UK.“It’s hard to explain just how important Tim Hortons is to Canadians – it’s not just a restaurant, it’s a way of life and a place of ‘home’, and we’re positive Great Britain will fall in love with the brand,” Dhaliwal said.Tim Hortons is part of Restaurant Brands International Inc, one of the world’s largest quick-service restaurant companies with more than $27 billion (£21.7bn) in system sales and over 23,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries.last_img read more

Listen To Turbine Combine Radiohead & Grateful Dead Tunes For “Radiodead” Set

first_imgCatskill Chill has always been known for unique sets, whether its super jams, tributes, or just interesting concepts from bands on the bill. NYC-based rockers Turbine took that to heart last month, when they debuted their Radiodead concept at the festival!Radiodead combined the music of Radiohead and the Grateful Dead in unique ways, pairing tunes like set opener “Brown Eyed Women” with Amnesiac hit “I Might Be Wrong.” The show also featured some lengthy jams on tunes like “West L.A. Fadeaway” and “The National Anthem,” only upping the ante of this great performance.Fortunately, thanks to Turbine, we can share full audio from this powerful set. Tune in to the band’s Chillfest “Radiodead” performance, below.While Turbine is off the road for a little while, guitarist/vocalist Jeremy Hilliard will still be at it with his new band Peak. Hilliard and Peak have been touring regularly, treating fans to an interesting blend that captures elements of funk, psychedelia and EDM.Says Hilliard, “I wanted to do something a little different. As a compulsive songwriter I have plenty of songs to go around.  I also wanted a little more room for the guitar, to see where I can take it, and I’ve always wanted to do that guitar/ organ thing that I love so much going all the way back to Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith, but with modern elements.”You can see Peak’s tour dates below, and listen to their debut performance here. More info can be found on their Facebook page as well.Peak Tour Dates10-18 American Beauty, NYC10-29 Sally O’Brien’s, Boston, MA11-1 American Beauty, NYC11-5 Penuche’s, Manchester, NH11-12 B.R.Y.A.C. Bridgeport, CT11-15 American Beauty, NYC11-18 Bishop’s Lounge, Northampton, MA11-19 Souper Groove Jamsgiving, Paul’s Tavern, Lake Como, NJ12-2 Pacific Standard Tavern, New Haven, CT12-3 Keystone Lounge, Cedars, PA12-16 Velvet Lounge, East Setauket, NY12-17 Red Door, Watertown, CTlast_img read more

Odds & Ends: Idina Menzel Gets Frozen, Kristin Chenoweth Hits the Scren & More

first_imgIdina Menzel(Photo: Bruce Glikas) Kristin Chenoweth Star Files Idina Menzel Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today and over the weekend. Idina Menzel Lets It Go Some MoreWe still have over two years until some yet-to-be-announced beltress in a platinum blonde wigs lets it go on Broadway, but until then, Idina Menzel is still holding the Frozen torch. The Tony-winning supernova performed her signature “Let It Go” (plus a certain Wicked anthem) at Disneyland 60, which aired on ABC on February 21 and celebrated the anniversary of the park. Be one with the wind and sky and check out that clip below. Kristin Chenoweth Gives Us a Hard SellKristin Chenoweth is coming to a big (and small) screen near you. The indie teen dramedy Hard Sell, starring the self-proclaimed pocket diva, has been acquired by Momentum Pictures, according to Deadline. The film is set for a theatrical and on-demand spring release. It follows Hardy Buchanan (Skyler Gisondo), a senior at an elite private school who befriends a runaway named Bo. The two teens devise a scheme to con Hardy’s rich, wayward peers. Chenoweth plays his mom—not the school’s assistant principal.Hamilton Earns the Kennedy PrizeThe Edward M. Kennedy Prize for Drama is awarded to works that are inspired by and illuminate aspects of American history. Any guesses which show won this year? We’ll give you a hint: It recently won a Grammy following its live performance on said awards show, and its creator/star is already a certified “genius.” You guessed it; the award went to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton, which was chosen unanimously by a panel of playwrights, composers and more. The honor comes with an award of $100,000, or 10,000 Hamiltons.Vanessa Hudgens Is Powerless on NBCVanessa Hudgens, who left us hopelessly devoted to her powerhouse vocals in Grease: Live, will headline an NBC comedy pilot titled Powerless. According to Variety, the Broadway.com Audience Choice Award winner will play Emily Locke, an employee at one of the worst insurance companies disgruntled by the antics of various super heroes (oh right, it takes place in the DC Comics universe).ENO’s Sunset Boulevard Rounds Out CastThe cast is now complete for the English National Opera semi-staged presentation of Sunset Boulevard, with Glenn Close reprising her Tony-winning performance. Joining her and the previously announced Michael Xavier, Siobhan Dillon and Fred Johanson are Anna Woodside as Hedda Hopper and Emily Bull as Hedy Lamarr. The lineup also includes Julian orsyth as Cecil B DeMille, Mark Goldthop as Sheldrake, Fenton Gray as Manfred, Haydn Oakley as Artie Green and James Paterson as Jonesy. Performances of the Andrew Lloyd Webber, Don Black and Christopher Hampton musical are set for April 1 through May 7 at ENO’S London Coliseum. View Commentslast_img read more

Long Island gets first battery storage unit

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Newsday:Talk about a Hamptons power trip.Starting this month, the South Fork becomes home to Long Island’s first and largest utility-scale battery storage unit as part of an effort by PSEG Long Island and LIPA to boost power to the energy-starved Hamptons—from the Shinnecock Canal to Montauk Point.PSEG and the battery’s owners at National Grid and NextEra Energy Resources flipped the switch on the barrack-sized unit Aug. 1.The 5-megawatt battery storage unit, located at a LIPA substation in East Hampton, is one of two set for the South Fork as a way to deal with what the utility says is soaring electric demand. At peak summer times, the South Fork draws some 300 megawatts of power, PSEG officials said. One megawatt powers 800-1,000 homes, but South Fork customers use more than most, PSEG has said, particularly during the summer.A second battery is planned for Montauk later this year.Both units, costing a combined $110 million over a 20-year contract with NextEra and National Grid, have the potential to save money on energy but for now are being used to improve reliability on the system, said Daniel Eichhorn, president of PSEG Long Island.LIPA chief Tom Falcone said the units will be in place to store energy when a $1.62 billion wind farm off the coast of Rhode Island is producing energy by the end of 2022. More: Region’s largest battery on line in the Hamptons Long Island gets first battery storage unitlast_img read more

Monster truck show draws big crowd at Penn Can Speedway

first_imgDespite the large crowd, Manager Joanne Mady said the track followed all CDC guidelines, and masks were required upon entry. SUSQUEHANNA, Pa. (WBNG) — More than 2,000 people gathered at Penn Can Speedway in Susquehanna, Pa., on Sunday for the track’s first-ever Renegade Monster Truck show. “I brought my niece and my great great niece with me, and I figured they’d have a great time and they’d enjoy the show,” he said. However, Mady did state attendees were not required to keep the masks on once inside. The event featured six trucks participating in freestyle events and performing stunts, while also holding some meet and greets with the crew and kids activities. She said the event was all about getting out and having fun with the family. Tom Robinson was one of many who came out to the event with his family. “It’s just a family fun day,” she said. “These last six months have been tough on people, especially kids, so bring them back to… our new normal.” Robinson said the full stands didn’t have him concerned about the coronavirus, and 12 News spoke with several other individuals who declined to be interviewed on camera, all of whom agreed with Robinson.last_img read more

Kyle Allen: Washington quarterback dislocates left ankle in loss to New York Giants | NFL News

first_img– Advertisement – Kyle Allen will undergo an MRI on Monday; injury occurred as Allen was sacked by New York safety Jabrill Peppers, who apologised for the leg-whip; Smith deputised and threw his first touchdown since November 2018 Last Updated: 09/11/20 7:07am Allen’s injury made for an emotional moment for Alex Smith, who returned to action from his own serious leg injury last month after sustaining a compound fracture of his right tibia and fibula in November 2018.“A ton of emotions going on for me right then,” Smith said. “I knew Kyle was down and knew it was serious once he stayed down. You get ready to roll and all of a sudden you see them bringing out an air cast and the cart. I know that routine well. I’m trying to lock it in, but feeling for Kyle.” “I get it. I’ve been there in that situation. Peppers is a heck of a football player. He plays 100 miles an hour.” Washington Football Team quarterback Kyle Allen dislocated his left ankle and sustained a small fracture during the first quarter of his team’s 23-20 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday.Allen suffered what is expected to be a season-ending injury with 1:04 remaining in the first quarter and is set to undergo an MRI scan on Monday.The injury occurred as he was sacked by New York safety Jabrill Peppers, who apologised for the leg-whip and insisted there was no intent to injure Allen. Peppers was handed a roughing the passer penalty. Alex Smith threw his first touchdown pass in almost two years on Sunday Alex Smith threw his first touchdown pass in almost two years on Sunday

Marcus Rashford, Conor Coady to miss England’s Nations League double-header | Football News

first_img“Meanwhile, Rashford’s arrival into camp had initially been delayed to allow for further assessment on an injury sustained last weekend but the Manchester United forward will now not meet up.”On his withdrawal, Wolves skipper Coady said he is “absolutely gutted” to have to pull out of the squad.- Advertisement – preview image 3:17 Highlights of the friendly between England and the Republic of Ireland from Wembley Stadium. Although the 27-year-old has tested negative twice with the contact coming prior to meeting up with the England squad, he still has to isolate in line with Government guidelines.Meanwhile, Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford misses out with a shoulder injury sustained during the win over Everton on Saturday.In a statement, the Football Association said: “Coady has been forced to self-isolate having discovered he had inadvertently come into contact with somebody prior to camp who has tested positive for Covid-19 via an NHS Test and Trace alert.- Advertisement – “The Wolverhampton Wanderers defender had returned two negative tests as part of The FA and UEFA’s protocol but, in line with UK Government guidelines, has to adhere to a period of self-isolation. Conor Coady and Marcus Rashford will miss England’s Nations League double-header against Belgium and Iceland.Wolves defender Coady has been forced to withdraw and isolate after being identified as a close contact to someone who has tested positive for coronavirus via track and trace.- Advertisement – Southgate added in his post-match press conference following the 3-0 win over Republic of Ireland: “To lose both is disappointing. We had some doubts about Marcus following the weekend, we hoped he might progress but that hasn’t happened.“For Conor, it’s one of those weird ones where he has to isolate when he’s more than likely not at risk. I think we’re OK on numbers. We think we’ve got the cover, but let’s hope that is the case.”England face Belgium in Leuven on Sunday before hosting Iceland at Wembley on Wednesday in the final two games of their Nations League group. “I contracted and recovered from the virus myself back in March, and have tested negative twice in camp, but of course it is important that I abide by the rules set by the government and observe a period of self-isolation,” the defender said.“It’s so frustrating to have to miss games because of this, but these are the rules that are set out and the most important thing is to make sure my team-mates are not put at risk.“My next priority will be to keep my fitness and hope I can be back and available for selection for the next Wolves fixture.“For now, I will be supporting the lads from afar and I want to wish them all the very best of luck for the next two games.” Conor Coady celebrates scoring his first England goal against WalesImage:Conor Coady has been forced to withdraw from the England squad due to coronavirus protocols – Advertisement –last_img read more

COVID-19: Jokowi warns of second wave, but first one may not be over

first_imgRead also: Hospitals more cautious, adjust services as Indonesia forges COVID-19 ‘new normal’He added that regions should not ease restrictions without thorough evaluation.“The timing [of easing restrictions] is very important, it must be precise,” he said.Epidemiologist Panji Hadisoemarto from Padjadjaran University in Bandung, West Java, however, said such warnings were besides the point. President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has warned of a second COVID-19 wave as the number of new cases continued to soar over the past few days, following the loosening of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in some regions.However, experts say the government’s warning of a second wave is premature since the first one has yet to reach its peak nationally.“I remind you that our large task is not over, conditions are still dynamic,” the President said during a visit to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) office in East Jakarta on Wednesday. “Don’t let a second wave happen. Don’t let the cases surge.” “I think it is more appropriate to warn that we are under the threat of a case rebound in the first wave,” Panji told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.The Health Ministry has recorded a consistent spike of new COVID-19 cases in the past five days, starting with an unprecedented 993 new cases last Saturday, when the total number across the country reached 30,000, a day after the PSBB was eased in Jakarta.On Tuesday and Wednesday, the number of daily confirmed new cases surpassed 1,000 for the first time since the outbreak started.Read also: COVID-19: What a second wave might look likeAnnouncing the PSBB easing last week, Governor Anies Baswedan claimed that the curves of new cases and deaths in Jakarta had reached its peak in April. After a relatively low rate in late May, the numbers recently went back up, with 232 new cases recorded on Tuesday.Panji said he needed to check whether Jakarta had entered the second wave but he explained that a region, theoretically, could only see a new wave after reaching the bottom of the epidemiological curve, at the point where the first wave started.The expectation of a single peak day to determine when the wave has turned might not be met given the lack of testing capacity that has frequently led to a backlog in laboratories.The Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general, Achmad Yurianto, has claimed that the record high numbers followed more “aggressive” contact tracing conducted by the central government. However, although the number of specimens tested daily has surpassed the target of 10,000, the number of people tested daily has remained low, with 5,825 people tested on Wednesday.A Flourish chartThe average number of people tested in the past week has also trended downward, even as the average number of new cases rise.According to the official government count, Indonesia has recorded 34,316 confirmed cases with 1,959 fatalities and 12,129 recoveries as of Wednesday.Topics :last_img read more