Disabled people are to be forced into residential

first_imgDisabled people are to be forced into residential homes against their will by a Conservative council’s new cost-cutting adult social care policy, campaigners have warned.Barnetcouncil wants to save more than £400,000 in 2019-20 by creating more “costeffective support plans”, such as using residential care rather than fundingsupport packages that allow disabled people to live in their own homes.The northLondon council says it wants to consider “the full range of care options tomeet eligible needs (eg residential care), rather than offering community-basedplacements (eg supported living) by default”.This means anew “assumption that new clients are placed in cheaper accommodation settingswhere appropriate”.MichaelNolan, a trustee of the disabled people’s organisation Inclusion Barnet, told Disability News Service yesterday (Wednesday): “TheInclusion Barnet board are extremely concerned about these proposals, which wefear could leave some disabled people confined to residential care when theymight otherwise have been able to live independently.  “We believethat this could impact people least able to self-advocate, and is also againstthe spirit of the Care Act.” InclusionBarnet wrote to the council in January to warn that the “misconceived” plansrisked “disabled people with high support needs being confined to residentialplacements against their will” and breached article 19 (on independent living) ofthe UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.The councilhas failed to reply to the letter.A council document [PDF] also shows that it has notconsulted on the plan and will only discuss it with disabled people as part of the“assessment and support planning process”.It admits that“some clients” and their families “may consider this change unfavourable ifthey have a preference for a community placement”, which it says “could have animpact on customer satisfaction”.The council –long seen as a flagship Tory local authority – has carried out an equalityimpact assessment of the new policy, which concludes that “it is possible thatnot having the option of a council-funded community placement will be seen asnegative”, but claims that the negative impact on “some equality strands” willbe “minimal”.Cllr ReemaPatel, who leads on adult social care for the Labour opposition in Barnet, andis a former member of the executive committee of Disability Labour, said: “Dueto austerity, there is more incentive for councils to offer people with highsupport needs residential placements because it is cheaper. “However, thisruns counter to established principles around disabled people’s rights, principlesthat support the right to independent living, choice, agency and control.”Fleur Perry,a disabled campaigner who raised concerns about similarpolicies in NHSclinical commissioning groups two years ago, said: “This policy seems to bedesigned to push disabled people into residential care, putting financialpressures above people’s own choices about where and who they live with. “Theyhighlight that people may consider this ‘unfavourable’; I’d be livid! “Placingsomebody into residential care against their wishes without exploring how theycould be supported to stay in their own home may be unlawful under the HumanRights Act 1998 (article eight: private and familylife).“I’d askBarnet council not to put themselves in a position where they could be legallychallenged, and instead follow a policy that respects the right to independentliving and for people to have choice and control over their own lives.”The Equalityand Human Rights Commission claimed it had “concerns about the erosion ofservices and support to enable disabled people to choose where they live andwho they live with” but has so far declined to look at what is happening inBarnet.Barnetcouncil refused to say how it justified putting people in institutional carewhen they wanted to live independently in the community; and refused to say howmany extra disabled people were likely to end up in residential care in 2019-20as a result of its policy.It evenrefused to confirm that the new measure was now council policy.But Cllr Sachin Rajput, chair of the council’sadults and safeguarding committee, claimed in a statement that his localauthority remained “firmly committed to delivering high standards of care andsupport for those in need across Barnet, particularly our most vulnerableresidents”.He said: “We will carefully consider the rangeof accommodation options available to meet the particular needs of ourresidents, whilst also considering the limited resources that will be availableto us as a council.“Every person will be assessed individually,with their views and the impact on their wellbeing carefully considered. “For the small number of people that will beoffered a residential care placement, satisfaction levels and outcomes will becarefully monitored. “Barnet council will continue to comply with all of its duties under the Care Act (2014).”Picture: Barnet council’s Hendon town hallA note from the editor:Please consider making a voluntary financial contribution to support the work of DNS and allow it to continue producing independent, carefully-researched news stories that focus on the lives and rights of disabled people and their user-led organisations. Please do not contribute if you cannot afford to do so, and please note that DNS is not a charity. It is run and owned by disabled journalist John Pring and has been from its launch in April 2009. Thank you for anything you can do to support the work of DNS…last_img read more

MOSE Masoe spoke to the In Touch Podcast last week

first_imgMOSE Masoe spoke to the In Touch Podcast last week about his move to St Helens.The 24-year-old put pen to paper on a two year contract from 2014.“St Helens is one of the best clubs in Super League and I was stoked when I was approached by them,” he said. “It was great that such a strong team would want me to play for them.“I know a couple of players who have played there and that talk highly about the team and coach so I am excited to come over.“I had another year to run on my contract but I was excited when I got the offer and my manager said Nathan Brown wanted me to play for them.“I’m looking forward to playing in the Challenge Cup and the big games like Wigan. I love those rivalries and the passion that comes from the fans. The Roosters versus the Souths, Penrith-Parramatta those teams hate each other and that gives an extra five to ten per cent in the game.”Mose describes himself as an impact player who does the simple stuff.“I like to run and tackle hard,” he added. “It will be good to measure up against some of the best players in the world.”Joining him is teammate Luke Walsh – a scrum half the club snared a few weeks back.“I have been playing with Walshie this year so there is a combination there. When I come to St Helens I will know what kind of plays he does and it will be good to see how we gel as a team. He’s a little general on the pitch and will boss his players around.”You can hear the full interview on the In Touch Podcast. Details on how to listen are here.last_img read more

SUPER League is evolving… Saints are set to announ

first_imgSUPER League is evolving… Saints are set to announce their 2015 Season Ticket packages soon.With more home games and more big matches in store, a Season Ticket gives even better value for money as the brand new league structure will ensure every minute matters in every game!Season Ticket Holders look out for your renewal email to access your personal renewal website to follow soonTo communicate better and more meaningfully with our Season Ticket Holders we want to know more about you!Firstly, we need to know your correct and up to date contact details so we can keep you up to date with everything you need to know.Simply log on here and make sure your details are rightIf you have forgotten your log details to our online portal please email us at: [email protected] and we can reset them for you.If you are not a current Season Ticket Holder but would like to join our mailing list for information then please register here.Anyone who registers or updates their details will be entered into a draw to win a superb Alactel Mini Smartphone worth more than £100.last_img read more