maroke/iStock(CHICAGO) — Negotiations are resuming in the Chicago teachers’ strike after the Chicago Teachers Union voted to accept a tentative deal with the city but continued striking over makeup days for the time they spent on the picket line.After 10 days striking, the union requested that the school system schedule makeup days for time lost during the strike, but Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot has rejected the request. As a result, classes remained canceled again on Thursday.In a press conference, Lightfoot lambasted the union, accusing Sharkey of constantly moving “goal posts” in making a deal to end the strike. Lightfoot described the union’s demands as an ultimatum.“What we have is a take it or leave it demand — that’s not a starter for a conversation,” she said.Lightfoot said the city would “not pay teachers for striking,” adding that shortening students’ holiday vacation or summer vacation to make up for the strike days are not options because families had already planned their lives around the planned school year.“We believe this is an agreement that will produce real, lasting benefits in our schools. It’s a contract we can believe in. It has meaningful improvements in class size, in staffing and in a number of other features which we believe will help transform public schools in Chicago,” union president Jesse Sharkey said after announcing the agreement Wednesday night.“There’s one issue, however, that’s an important issue,” he said. “Our union does not have a return-to-work agreement. Our delegates told us in no uncertain terms they were not going back to work unless there was a provision made for making up the instructional days that have been lost over the last ten days. Our members want to return to work. Everyone was clear about that. However, the mayor of the city of Chicago has said that we will not be able to make up lost instructional days.”“Not once during that 3 1/2 hour meeting did they raise compensation for strike days — not once. The issue never came up,” Lightfoot said in response. “I’ve been clear from day one that CPS would not make up any strike days. And at this late hour, we are not adding any new issues.”Despite the mayor’s insistence, Illinois state law says that after nine days, district students are required to make those days up in school, according to Chicago ABC station WLS. Under those rules, at least two days of school will be added to the end of the year based on how long the strike has gone on to this point.Teachers are not paid for lost days that are not made up.The Chicago Teachers Union represents the city’s 25,000 teachers and educational support staff. The strike, in the nation’s third-largest school district, has kept more than 360,000 students out of school. Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
European regulation that would introduce Key Information Documents (KIDs) for investment products should be revised to remove second and third-pillar pensions from its scope, PensionsEurope has said.The lobby group called for a “full and unambiguous exemption” for pension funds from the regulation proposed for packaged retail investment products (PRIPS), arguing that it would be wrong to classify occupational pension funds as a financial product.Concerns that occupational funds would be forced to publish KIDs were raised by the German pension fund association (aba) last year, after the European Parliament’s Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee (ECON) revised the draft regulation first published in 2012 – a draft that made clear occupational funds should be excluded.PensionsEurope said any information document aimed at pension fund members should provide “tailor-made and comprehensive” information, and argued that the emphasis solely on information regarding investments would be insufficient. “Therefore, it should be clear that, although we fully support the provision of transparent and clear information on occupational pensions, the proposed PRIPS regulation is not the suitable vehicle to achieve this,” the organisation’s position paper said.It further took issue with the approach of implementing the new rules through a Regulation, rather than through a Directive, as it would have a “direct and immediate impact” on EU member states’ labour laws – in violation of existing treaties specifying that social policy is a matter for individual member states.“In those areas that do not fall within its exclusive competence,” the paper said, referencing social policy issues, “the EU should regulate through a Directive, which gives the necessary flexibility to implement EU laws into member states’ social and labour laws, and not through an immediately binding and hence inflexible Regulation.”Echoing concerns previously raised by the aba, PensionsEurope also said the European Parliament should not seek to adopt any legislation for occupational pensions without consulting the Employment and Social Affairs Committee.However, it also said existing and forthcoming pensions legislation – namely the revised IORP Directive, as well as the former Portability Directive – would form an “adequate layer of protection” for those participating in occupational pension funds.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesPensionsEurope position paper on PRIPS
Agnieszka Radwanska will play world number one Angelique Kerber in the WTA Finals last four after beating Karolina Pliskova 7-5 6-3.The Polish defending champion overcame Finals debutant Pliskova in 78 minutes.French Open champion Garbine Muguruza avoided a whitewash at the event as she beat Svetlana Kuznetsova 3-6 6-0 6-1 in their dead rubber.Russian Kuznetsova was already through as group winner with Muguruza out after defeats in her first two matches.Kuznetsova, who only qualified for the tournament with victory at the Kremlin Cup in Moscow on Saturday, will meet Slovak world number eight Dominika Cibulkova in Saturday’s other semi-final.Radwanska had match point in her group-stage defeat to Kuznetsova earlier this week and the world number three looked in good form as she racked up a seventh successive straight-sets win over Czech Pliskova.She is playing amazing tennis this year,” Radwanska told BT Sport when asked about her meeting with Kerber.“She has been on fire, playing unbelievable on every surface. I have nothing to lose and have to be 200% to beat her.”The busy schedule that Kuznetsova put herself through to qualify for the event appeared to catch up with the 31-year-old as she faded badly in defeat to Muguruza.“To go to the limit, you need to push yourself hard, but I want to do that tomorrow,” Kuznetsova said. (BBC Sport)
So close, but yet so far away for the Nelson Selects at the B.C. Soccer Provincial B Cup U15 Boy’s tournament Sunday in Aldergrove.The Selects watched as Prospect Lake score the lone goal of the second half of the final round robin game to edge Nelson 2-1 and knock the Kootenay/Columbia reps out of the gold medal game and into the consolation round.Nelson did not rebound from the heartbreaking defeated, dropping another 2-1 decision to Chilliwack in the fifth/sixth-place contest.“Nelson matched up very well with some of the best teams in the province,” said Dan Szabo of the U15 coaching staff.“And although were disappointed with sixth in the eight-team tourney, the margin between those who played for medals and the others was very tight.”“(This was a) good, competitive tournament,” he added.As in any eight-team tourney that uses a round robin format to determine the finalists, one game can make a huge difference.Which is definitely what happened to the Selects.Sitting in the driver’s seat after scoring a 2-2 against South Burnaby and registering a 5-0 blowout of Williams Lake, the Reps stumbled against Prospect Lake.A goal in the 71st minute was too much for the Selects to overcome.Prospect Lake opened the scoring in the 25th minutes off a corner kick.However, Nelson rebounded minutes later when convert a perfect cross form James Miller to even the count at 1-1 heading into halftime.Nelson pressed for the equalizer but could not crack the Prospect Lake defence. The Selects opened with a deserving 2-2 draw against pre-tourney favourite South Burnaby.Trailing 2-0 at halftime, the Reps got goals from Micah May and Nicholas Wethal to surprise Burnaby.Spencer Szabo assisted both markers.Friday Nelson looked like world-beaters after blasting Williams Lake 5-0.Nolan Percival, with his first of two in the game, and Jimmy Johnson scored in the first half for Nelson.Percival, Miller and Owen Thurston completed the scoring in the second.In the consolation round against Chilliwack, a couple of mistakes erased a 1-0 Nelson lead allowing the Fraser Valley squad to escape with the one-goal victory.CCB Elite (Whalley) defeated South Burnaby 2-0 to capture the gold medal while Vernon edged Prospect Lake 3-2 to claim the bronze.U16 & U18 Boys finish fourth and seventh, respectivelyShuswap FC of Salmon Arm scored the only goal of the game en route to 1-0 win in the bronze medal of the B.C. Provincial B U16 Boy’s Cup Sunday in Aldergrove.Much like their younger cousins, U15 boys, the U16 squad lost in the final round robin game 1-0 to Douglas Park Blue Rangers to drop into the bronze medal game.The Selects opened with a 1-1 tie against Comox Valley Red Devils before Quesnel Strikers 1-0 Friday.Meanwhile, the U18 boys struggled out the gate with draws against North Delta and Prince George.In the final round robin game Saturday, Nelson lost 3-2 to Saanich to fall to fourth spot in the Group B standings.Nelson responded in the final match to blast host Aldergrove 5-1.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorChris BeattieShare the loveHave your say Man City, Man Utd target Ndombele stalls Lyon exit plansby Chris Beattie10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTanguy Ndombele is reluctant to leave Lyon in January.Sky Sports says Ndombele will opt to remain with the French club until at least the end of the season.The combative midfielder has been heavily linked with a move, with Premier League clubs Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham amongst those rumoured to have an interest.But sources close to the player believe he would prefer to remain in Lyon for the rest of the campaign.Ndombele revealed last week he turned down a big money move to Manchester City last summer.
Chelsea boss Sarri defends Hazard in striker’s role for Leicester defeatby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea boss Maurizio Sarri defended his use of Eden Hazard as a striker for defeat to Leicester City.Jamie Vardy scored the only goal of the game early in the second half, after the Blues had been on top during the opening 45 minutes.Sarri said, “I was really very happy at the end of the first half because we played very well, we were dangerous, we conceded nothing to the opponents, so I was very happy with the team and our deployment of Hazard as a striker. After the goal his position wasn’t important.”It’s important to play again in four days, maybe positive, maybe negative, it depends on our reaction after the match. In the match we had a bad reaction, now it depends on the reaction in the next three days, I think it’s important to play immediately.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Italy’s Fincantieri and the 2008-founded shipbuilder Genova Industrie Navali (GIN) have reached a cooperation agreement covering new buildings, ship repair, conversions and outfitting.The deal with the Genoa shipyard, which was formed by the merger of two historical shipyards T. Mariotti and San Giorgio del Porto, provides for the acquisition by Fincantieri of a minority stake in GIN Group’s holding company and an option for a minority stake in T. Mariotti.Fincantieri said that its stake would allow GIN “to achieve further financial strength, an increasingly important asset to face complex projects and to overcome market challenges, especially in the field of small and medium-sized luxury cruise ships construction.”
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Nominations for the City of Fort St. John’s 11th annual Community Awards Gala will be closing this week.Once again, residents have the option of submitting their nominations online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XNY5LYD. Nomination forms can also be picked up at City Hall, the North Peace Leisure Pool or the Pomeroy Sport Centre.The five categories for nominations are: Cultural AwardLiteracy AwardRecreation AwardHumanitarian AwardYouth Award (nominees must be under the age of 18)Mayor’s Citizen of the YearLast year, the father and son duo of Faisal Rashid and Mustafa Faisal were the recipients of the Humanitarian and Youth awards respectively. Russell Eggleston was the winner of the Cultural Award, Bo Hedges won the Recreation Award, and Cindy Dettling was named Citizen of the Year by Mayor Lori Ackerman for her work with the Safe Stop Campaign.For more information about the Community Awards, contact Lisa Rowbotham at (250) 787-5791 or [email protected] deadline to submit nominations is Thursday, March 8th, at 4:00 p.m.
Mohali: Chennai Super Kings posted 170 for five against Kings XI Punjab in an IPL match here on Sunday. Brief scores: Chennai Super Kings: 170/5 in 20 overs (Faf du Plessis 96, Suresh Raina 53; Sam Curran 3/35).
Colombo/ Srinagar: Sri Lanka Army’s chief has said that some of the suicide bombers who carried out the country’s worst terror attack on Easter Sunday visited Kashmir and Kerala for “some sorts of training” or to “make some more links” with other foreign outfits. It is the first time that a top Sri Lankan security official has confirmed the militants’ visit to India which had shared intelligence inputs with Colombo ahead of the attack. Nine suicide bombers, including a woman, carried out a series of devastating blasts that tore through three churches and three luxury hotels on April 21, killing 253 people and injuring over 500 others. In an interview to BBC, Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake, Commander of the Army, divulged some details on the movements of the suspects in the region and also international links. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework”They (the suspects) have gone to India, they’ve gone to Kashmir, Bengaluru, they’ve travelled to Kerala state. Those are the information available with us,” he said. Asked what activities they were doing in Kashmir and Kerala, the Army chief said: “Not exactly, but definitely in some sorts of training or to make some more links towards the other organisations outside the country”. The Islamic State (IS) terror group claimed the attacks but the government blamed local Islamist extremist group National Thowheeth Jamaath (NTJ). Sri Lanka banned the NTJ and arrested over 100 people in connection with the blasts. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygenAsked why the threats were not taken more seriously after receiving information from India, Senanayake said: “We had some information and intelligence-sharing, situations and military intelligence on a different direction and the others were different and there was a gap that everybody could see today”. Reacting to the Lanka Army’s chief claim, Indian Central security agencies’ officials said in Srinagar on Saturday that there is no record to suggest that any of the suicide bombers had visited Kashmir. One of the officials said immigration records were re-visited after the terrorist attacks and none of the bombers had visited Kashmir. However, there could be a possibility of the bombers visiting the state using pseudonym, the official said, adding if Sri Lanka hands over some evidence, it can be verified from the ground.