News PeruAmericas March 31, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist beaten up by 15 policemen, told to shut up February 10, 2017 Find out more RSF_en Reporters Without Borders today protested against the beating which journalist Víctor Abel del Castillo Saavedra of TV Sur Canal 9 and several friends received on 26 March in a public square in the southeastern city of Cuzco from 15 policemen after being told to disperse and to stop talking.”We condemn the violence and cowardliness of this assault by state agents, and the simultaneous harassment of the victim, and we hope the police involvement does not mean it will go unpunished or the case will dropped,” the press freedom organization said, calling on the police to take the appropriate disciplinary measures.Del Castillo was in Nazarenas square in Cuzco conversing with several friends when five policemen told them to disperse. As they were in a public place, they refused to comply. Five minutes later, 10 more policemen arrived and all of the police began to beat Del Castillo and his friends violently in front of everyone in the square. Del Castillo sustained several bruises.Even if it has not been established that the assault was premeditated or linked to Del Castillo’s work as a journalist, the police threatened him with reprisals if he “continued to talk.” The Instituto Prensa y Sociedad (IPYS), a Peruvian press freedom organization, believes that this threat alluded to his investigation into the alleged payment of bribes to journalists to praise Cuzco mayor Carlos Valencia Miranda. News News News Help by sharing this information Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites Organisation China’s diplomats must stop attacking media over coronavirus reporting April 1, 2020 Find out more to go further PeruAmericas December 4, 2019 Find out more Follow the news on Peru Latin America’s community radio – a key service but vulnerable Receive email alerts
With a look at some of the top stories making the news today, May 11 across your Caribbean-American community in South Florida, I’m…for CNW 90. Coming up in the newscast, Florida’s salons and barbershops to reopen today May 11, re-entry flights from the United States to Jamaica begin this week and Trinidad announces reopening of their economy. For more information on these and other stories, visit CNWNETWORK.com. Remember to pick up this week’s copy of our Caribbean National Weekly at your nearest Caribbean – American outlet. DeSantis also announced Palm Beach County will be included in the Phase One reopening as of today, while Miami-Dade and Broward Counties are still excluded. According to DeSantis, the inclusion is as a result of the decline in the county’s rate of positive COVID-19 cases, from about 18% two weeks ago, to 9.3% on Friday. Palm Beach County will join 64 other Florida counties where the restrictions on restaurants, retailers, elective surgery and routine dental care have been lifted. The Palm Beach County Commission has also agreed to reopen county beaches on May 18. As of today, May 11, Florida’s nail and hair salons and barbershops can resume operations under the governor’s phase one plan of reopening the state. Governor Ron DeSantis announced last week that the aforementioned facilities will be allowed to reopen “with enhanced safety protocols”. The protocols include the wearing of masks by all employees, a ban on group appointments and the removal of unnecessary items that are frequently touched, like magazines and newspapers. In the meantime, Jamaican Ambassador to the United States, Audrey Marks announced that Jamaican nationals stuck in the U.S. will begin returning to the island this week. Under the island’s re-entry program, the first two flights will return nationals that have been stuck in the country for over a month. Marks said that priority was given to the most urgent cases. As Jamaica begins to flatten the curve, there will be an increase in the number of returnees to the island in coming weeks. Over the past three days, less than 30 COVID-19 cases have been reported on the island, representing a massive decline in the rate of daily increase when compared to April. In Caribbean News, The government of Trinidad and Tobago has announced a phased re-opening of the country. Prime Minister Keith Rowley said that under the first phase of the re-opening exercise, from May 12-23, food establishments will be allowed to open, but there would be no in-house dining and no gatherings of more than five people. Rowley said that while the government is reopening the economy in stages, the island’s borders would remain closed at least until June. As of May 10, Trinidad had 116 COVID-19 cases including eight deaths. Today’s newscast is brought to you by the Florida Department of Health; Now for the news in the detail To help stop the spread of COVID-19, The Florida Department of Health in Broward County reminds everyone to practice social distancing, wash your hands often with soap and water and cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.