Chinese marathon champion banned for eight years over doping

first_imgSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The CAA also fined Wang 40,000 yuan ($6,000) and banned her coach Lyu Qiang for life.Wang — who came 57th in the marathon at the 2012 London Olympics — was banned for two years in 2013 for a previous violation, the state-run Xinhua news agency said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSeparately, China’s Anti-Doping Agency (CHINADA) said it uncovered 77 violations last year, calling it proof that the country is stamping down on drugs cheats ahead of next month’s Winter Olympics in South Korea.China this week banned speed skater Shi Xiaoxuan for two years for failing a drugs test, the second such case to hit the national team in quick succession. CHINADA said it conducted a record 17,000 tests last year and vowed to root out drug cheats.“In the past year we improved a lot, including testing methods, test plans and management,” Chen Zhiyu, CHINADA deputy head, was quoted by Xinhua as saying.“As the workload continues to grow, we have maintained a high level of accuracy in lab tests and better planning led to more effective control, so we found many more positive cases last year.”Last year’s testing returned 132 positive results, but in 55 cases the athletes were not punished because CHINADA ruled that they had tested positive for clenbuterol due to food contaminated with the banned performance-enhancer, Xinhua said.ADVERTISEMENT Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson LATEST STORIES Eustaquio faces Akhmetov for interim ONE flyweight belt in Manila OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson View comments OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ This photo taken on April 29, 2017 shows Wang Jiali looking on after winning the women’s marathon athletics event at the 13th Chinese National Games in Tianjin, China.National marathon champion and Olympian Wang Jiali was banned for eight years after failing a drugs test for a second time, the Chinese Athletics Association (CAA) said on January 10, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / OSPORTS / – / China OUTChina’s national marathon champion and Olympian Wang Jiali has been banned for eight years after failing a drugs test, her second violation, the Chinese Athletics Association (CAA) said on Wednesday.The 31-year-old, who won gold at the 2017 National Games, tested positive for the banned blood booster EPO during out-of-competition testing in August and her career now appears over.ADVERTISEMENT Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikinalast_img read more

FIFA puts new tournaments on hold due to European opposition

first_imgThe Nations League was first conceived by UEFA when Infantino was general secretary of European soccer’s governing body before being elected president of FIFA in 2016. It debuted in Europe last month. Infantino wants the format to involve all six confederations with eight-team finals serving as mini World Cups in every odd-numbered year.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Ceferin arrived at the meeting in Kigali with letters of complaints from European clubs and leagues about the FIFA process. They included concerns about the increased demands on players, the lack of consultation by FIFA and, within leagues, the potential for the big clubs to get even richer.Infantino had tried to divide Europe by meeting some clubs in May and gaining public backing for the new competitions from Barcelona and Real Madrid.But the Spanish clubs have since backed away from FIFA. Those teams were among 15 members of the European Club Association who wrote a letter to Ceferin to take into the meeting warning of an “institutional crisis with potentially severe and far reaching consequences” if the new competitions were approved on Friday without a thorough examination of the impact on the congested match calendar, which had already been agreed to through 2024.“The successful development of international football competitions is dependent and based entirely on clubs’ participation and/or on their assets,” the ECA wrote, highlighting how most of the world’s leading players are based in Europe.The ECA letter, which was also signed by officials from Manchester United, Bayern Munich Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain, said FIFA failed to adequately consult with the clubs. That was the same complaint in a letter to Infantino from leading domestic leagues, which featured the heads of the Premier League, Bundesliga and the Mexican league among the signatories.ADVERTISEMENT “I am happy to have contributed to peace in the world today,” Infantino said. “We will work to see whether we can find something that suits everyone.”Infantino will lead a task force featuring the regional confederation presidents to explore the merits of the formats that are being strongly resisted by UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissA threat by Ceferin to walk out of the council meeting rather than vote on the competitions contributed to thwarting Infantino’s plans.“Common sense prevailed,” Ceferin said after leaving the meeting. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Danny Jacobs eyes title, bigger place in middleweight picture Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal FILE – In this file photo dated Monday, Sept. 24, 2018, FIFA President Gianni Infantino arrives for the ceremony of the Best FIFA Football Awards at the Royal Festival Hall in London. Infantino hoped to secure an agreement on Friday Oct. 26, 2018, from his council on the concept of revamping the Club World Cup and establishing a worldwide Nations League.(AP Photo/Frank Augstein, FILE)KIGALI, Rwanda — A $25 billion overhaul of world soccer competitions was put on on hold after mounting disapproval from European leaders and clubs saw FIFA President Gianni Infantino backtrack on Friday and accept more consultation was necessary to avert a crisis.A vote was abandoned hours before the council meeting where Infantino hoped to secure approval from his council on the principle of revamping the Club World Cup and establishing a Global Nations League.ADVERTISEMENT Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum MOST READcenter_img Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title LATEST STORIES Imposing new competitions or expanding existing ones “would only further overload the calendar, endanger players’ health, and jeopardize the economy of football globally,” the World Leagues Forum wrote. “We do not understand the urgency and recklessness with which FIFA is acting on these competition and calendar issues.”But Infantino is not backing down, having first tried to rush the council into accepting the new competitions by May.“There will be fights and there will be disagreements,” he said. “There are some who will always oppose on anything. I think leadership is not just trying to get nothing done in order to keep everyone happy. It’s to assume responsibility as well and to take decisions.”But Infantino is keeping members of his own council in the dark about the specifics of an offer from a global financial consortium, including Japanese conglomerate SoftBank, to make the biggest change to soccer competitions in years.In briefing documents for the meeting, FIFA assured council members that government-issued funds won’t be allowed to be part of any joint-venture consortium involved in the new tournaments.“This investor was — and still is — keen to partner with FIFA in connection with these two competitions, assuming that we take the sporting decision to go ahead with their development,” Infantino wrote to European members of the council on Thursday in a private letter obtained by The Associated Press.That decision will now not happen until at least March, when the council meets in Miami.Two options for a new Club World Cup from 2021 were floated to council members.The first would see a tournament staged every four years over a maximum of 18 days in the June slot currently used by the Confederations Cup, which serves as the warm-up event a year before the World Cup. FIFA earlier this year proposed 24 teams but is now leaving that competition field open.The second proposal would keep an annual Club World Cup but shift it from December to the July-August window currently used by European teams for often-lucrative preseason friendlies in the United States and Asia. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Struggling Cavaliers sign G Cameron Payne to 10-day contract

first_imgPhilippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Cleveland Cavaliers’ Collin Sexton walks off the court after the New Orleans Pelicans defeated the Cavaliers in an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)CLEVELAND — The struggling Cavaliers signed guard Cameron Payne to a 10-day contract.To make roster space, the Cavs waived swingman Patrick McCaw, who signed with the club as a free agent on Dec. 28. He played in three games with Cleveland.ADVERTISEMENT Lionel Messi scores, Barca beats Getafe to take 5-point lead at top Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titlecenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra MOST READ Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Payne will give the Cavs a backup for rookie Collin Sexton and backcourt depth while Matthew Dellavedova deals with a sore foot. Payne averaged 5.7 points and 2.7 assists in 31 games — 12 starts — for Chicago before he was waived by the Bulls.He has appeared in 144 games over four seasons with Chicago and Oklahoma City. Payne played at Murray State before he was drafted with the No. 14 overall pick by the Thunder in 2015.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissAt 8-32, the Cavs have the NBA’s worst record and they’ve lost nine straight games, their last five at home by at least 20 points — a league record.Cleveland hosts Indiana on Tuesday. LATEST STORIESlast_img read more